Press release - AP114(2014)
PACE Summer session: Election of the Secretary General of the Council of Europe
Strasbourg, 16.06.2014 - The election of the Secretary General of the Council of Europe, an address by the President of Azerbaijan, Ilham Aliyev, and a joint debate on the "left-to-die boat" and on the large-scale arrival of mixed migratory flows on Italian shores are among the highlights of the forthcoming Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) plenary session in Strasbourg (23-27 June).
Other items on the agenda include reports on violence in and through the media, challenges for the Council of Europe Development Bank, a parliamentary contribution to solving the Western Sahara conflict as well as a report on ‘Towards a better European democracy: facing the challenges of a federal Europe. Elmar Mammadyarov, Foreign Minister of Azerbaijan, will present the communication from the Committee of Ministers as its chairperson.
The final agenda is decided by the Assembly on the opening day of the session.
Monday 23 June
· Statement by the President
· Request(s) for current affairs debate or urgent debate
· Progress report of the Bureau and the Standing Committee presented by Jordi Xuclà
· Observation of the presidential election (13 and 27 April 2014) and of the early parliamentary elections (27 April 2014) in "the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia"
· Observation of the early presidential election in Ukraine (25 May 2014)
· Communication from the Committee of Ministers to the Parliamentary Assembly presented by Elmar Mammadyarov, Minister for Foreign Affairs of Azerbaijan, Chairperson of the Committee of Ministers
· Free debate
Tuesday 24 June
Election of the Secretary General of the Council of Europe
· Joint debate
The “left-to-die boat”: actions and reactions
The large-scale arrival of mixed migratory flows on Italian shores
· Address by Ilham Aliyev, President of Azerbaijan
Violence in and through the media
Evaluation of the implementation of the reform of the Parliamentary Assembly
Wednesday 25 June
Towards a better European democracy: facing the challenges of a federal Europe
· Commemoration ceremony of the 100th anniversary of the First World War
Parliamentary contribution to resolving the Western Sahara conflict
· Joint debate
Identities and diversity within intercultural societies
Integration of migrants in Europe: the need for a proactive, long-term and global policy
Thursday 26 June
· Possible urgent debate or current affairs debate
Challenges for the Council of Europe Development Bank and statement by Rolf Wenzel, Governor of the Council of Europe Development Bank
Europe’s public administrations in flux: public service under threat?
Friday 27 June
Reinforcement of the independence of the European Court of Human Rights
Child-friendly juvenile justice: from rhetoric to reality
Live web stream: The session is
streamed live on PACE’s website.
Press conferences: PACE President Anne Brasseur will give a press conference on Monday 23 June at 10.30 a.m. Other press conferences will be announced on the spot. They are
streamed live over the web.
For TV planning units: videos in broadcast quality summing up PACE highlights can be
downloaded for free no later than two hours after the event. Further information from the Council of Europe Audiovisual Service, tel. +33 3 88 41 25 64 (prior to the session) or +33 3 88 41 35 00 (during the session).
For accreditation: Directorate of Communication,
Further details: see the
Contact: PACE Communication Division, tel. +33 3 88 41 31 93;
Parliamentary Assembly Communication Division
Tel: +33 3 88 41 31 93
Fax : +33 3 90 21 41 34