Press release - CG022(2012)
Council of Europe Congress on observation mission of partial local elections in Armenia
Strasbourg, 20 September 2012 - A delegation of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe, headed by Henry FERAL, France, (L, EPP/CD) – including members of the Committee of the Regions of the European Union – will carry out an observation mission of partial local elections in Armenia from 20 to 24 September 2012.
The observation mission of partial elections will take place in 5 regions of Aragatsotn, Kotayq, Gegharquniq, Vayots Dzor and Tavush.
On 20 September, the Congress delegation will meet with Armen GEVORGYAN, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Territorial Administration. The same day, meetings are also planned with Silva ZEHE, Special Representative of the Secretary General to the Council of Europe to Armenia, with the ambassadors of the countries represented in the delegation, as well as with representatives of the EU delegation, the OSCE Office in Armenia, and with representatives of civil society, NGOs and the media.
Six teams will be deployed, on 22 September, in the regions of Tavush, Gegharquniq and Vayots Dzor and four teams, on 23 September, in the regions of Aragatsotn and Kotayq. On the election day – 23 September - the Congress delegation will be deployed in several polling stations to observe the vote of the mayors and/or other municipal councillors in these five regions.
The Congress delegation will present its preliminary findings to the media on Monday 24 September 2012 at 12:00 (local time - place to be confirmed).
Members of the delegation:
Members of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities
· Henry FERAL, France (L, EPP/CD)
· Ludmila SFIRLOAGA, Romania (R, SOC)
· Irmeli HENTTONEN, Finland (L, ILDG)
· Leo AADEL, Estonia (R, ILDG)
· Fleur BUTLER, United Kingdom (L, ECR)
· Françoise JEANNERET, Switzerland (L, SOC)
· Jon HERMANS-VLOEDBELD, Netherlands (L, ILDG)
· Jaroslav HLINKA, Slovakia (L, ILDG)
· Mihkel JUHKAMI, Estonia (L, EPP/CD)
· Marie-Madeleine MIALOT-MULLER, France (R, SOC)
· Mihali NJILAS, Serbia (L, EPP/CD)
· Fabio PELLEGRINI, Italy (L, SOC)
· Jean-Louis TESTUD, France (L, EPP/CD)
· Line VENNESLAND, Norway (L, ECR)
Members of the Committee of the Regions of the European Union
· Brian MEANEY, Ireland (EA)
· Ursula MÄNNLE, Germany (EPP)
· Väino HALLIKMÄGI, Estonia (ALDE)
· Jerzy ZAJĄKAŁA, Poland (EA)
Secretariat of the Congress
· Antonella CAGNOLATI, Director of the Congress
· Muriel KREYDER GRIMMEISSEN, Co-secretary of the Current Affairs Committee
Council of Europe Office in Armenia: Tel: +374 10 54 63 22 / +374 10 54 63 26
Division of Communication and Election Observation, Congress of the Council of Europe, Strasbourg: Renate Zikmund, Head of the Division of Communication and Election Observation, Tel : + 33 3 90 21 44 03, E-mail: Renate.ZIKMUND@coe.int
Communication Division of the
of Local and Regional Authorities
Tel: +33 (0)3 90 21 48 95
Fax:+33 (0)3 88 41 27 51