on the status of Council of Europe Offices
(Adopted by the Committee of Ministers on 7 July 2010
at the 1090th meeting of the Ministers’ Deputies)
The Committee of Ministers, under the terms of Articles 15.a and 16 of the Statute of the Council of Europe,
Having considered the Secretary General’s proposals on the reform of the Council of Europe external presence;
Having regard to the General Agreement on Privileges and Immunities of the Council of Europe,
Resolves as follows:
1. The Council of Europe Offices are institutions of the Council of Europe and, as such, shall be covered by the privileges and immunities of the Council of Europe;
2. The Council of Europe Offices shall be governed by the rules which are reproduced in the appendix to this resolution;
3. The Council of Europe Offices shall be established by a decision of the Committee of Ministers, on the basis of the terms of reference set out in the appendix to this resolution.
4. They shall be created for an initial three year period, at the end of which the Committee of Ministers shall take a decision, in respect to each office, as to any renewal of their terms of reference;
5. The Secretariat is instructed to take all the necessary steps to set up the offices and to make all appropriate arrangements with the relevant authorities in the host countries and/or with the relevant international organisation(s) or institution(s);
6. As of 1 January 2011, Resolution Res(99)9 on the status of Council of Europe Information Offices and Resolution Res(2006)20 on the status of Council of Europe Information Offices are repealed.
Appendix to Resolution CM/Res(2010)5
1. Terms of reference of Council of Europe Offices in member states and non-member states:
- representing the Secretary General vis-à-vis the national authorities of the host country;
- promoting and supporting the policies and activities of national authorities, as well as those of the Council of Europe bodies, related to membership of the Council of Europe;
- providing advice, support and overall in situ co-ordination with national authorities in planning, negotiation and timely implementation of targeted Council of Europe co-operation activities, including Joint Programmes with the European Union and other donors;
- facilitating the identification of needs for capacity-building, in co-operation with national authorities;
- conducting fundraising activities for specific projects;
- co-ordinating activities in the country with other international organisations and institutions (EU, OSCE, UN), as well as other international and local partners active in the country;
- conducting a proactive media policy, in order to raise the visibility of the Organisation, its values and activities among the general public.
2. Terms of reference of Council of Europe Offices in charge of liaison with one or more international organisations or institutions:
- representing the Secretary General vis-à-vis the international organisation(s) or institution(s);
- following the activities carried out by the relevant international organisation(s) or institution(s) and reporting on developments relevant to the Council of Europe activities and policies;
- providing support for the organisation and follow-up to high level co-ordination meetings and other meetings or events between the Council of Europe and the relevant international organisation(s) or institution(s);
- promoting effective co-operation between the Council of Europe and the relevant international organisation(s) or institution(s);
- Identifying opportunities for joint activities and providing advice and support in planning, negotiation, implementation and reporting on these activities;
- Conducting a proactive media policy in order to raise the visibility of the Organisation.
The Council of Europe Offices will be staffed on the basis of temporary positions created for periods not exceeding the duration of the offices’ terms of reference. These positions will be filled by deployment of Council of Europe permanent and temporary staff members, seconded officials and locally recruited staff.
4. Operational resources:
The functioning of the Council of Europe Offices shall be financed by appropriations under the general budget of the Council of Europe and, whenever applicable, by extra-budgetary resources provided for the implementation of co-operation programmes.
5. Practical Arrangements:
The Secretary General and the host country shall conclude a Memorandum of Understanding concerning the practical arrangements for the setting-up of each Council of Europe Office, in particular as regards the application of the General Agreement on Privileges and Immunities to each Council of Europe Office and its staff members, as well as the arrangements to ensure social and health insurance protection for the staff members.
The Secretary General may conclude an agreement with the international organisation or institution to facilitate the application of the General Agreement on Privileges and Immunities.