Media advisory - 071(2009)
Domestic violence on the agenda of the 29th Conference of European Ministers of Justice in Tromsø
Dates: 18-19 June 2009
Place: Tromsø (Norway)
Description: The Ministers of Justice of the 47 Council of Europe member states are to discuss ways of strengthening European co-operation with a view to more effective action against domestic violence, breaking the silence surrounding violence against women and providing victims with support.
The Council of Europe is currently drafting a new convention to prevent and combat violence against women and domestic violence, protect victims and prosecute perpetrators. The convention should be ready in 2010.
Knut Storberget, Norwegian Minister of Justice, Maud de Boer-Buquicchio, Deputy Secretary General of the Council of Europe, and Asha-Rose Migiro, Deputy Secretary-General of the United Nations, are among the personalities who will be opening the conference at 9 a.m. on Thursday 18 June.
The Deputy Secretary General is also to give the Janusz_Korczak lecture on children and prisons, which will be introduced by Thomas Hammarberg, Council of Europe Commissioner for Human Rights.
During the conference, Council of Europe member states will also be invited to sign the Council of Europe Convention on Access to Official Documents (adopted in November 2008), the first binding international legal instrument recognising a general right of access to official documents held by public authorities.
The Ministers present will adopt three resolutions on preventing and responding to domestic violence, on mutual assistance in criminal matters, and on Council of Europe action in favour of the rule of law.
· A press briefing will take place on the eve of the conference, at 5.00 p.m. on Wednesday 17 June in the “Children’s House” (Barnehuset, Nerstranda 9, Tromsø), with the participation of the Norwegian Minister of Justice, the Deputy Secretary General of the Council of Europe and the Deputy Secretary-General of the United Nations.
· The conference will be open to the press from 9 a.m. to 1.00 p.m. on Thursday 18 June (Radisson SAS Hotel). A family photo is to be taken at 10.15 a.m.
· A final press conference is scheduled for 12.15 p.m. on Friday 19 June (Radisson SAS Hotel, Room 119).
· Journalists are invited to obtain accreditation from the Press Service of the Norwegian Ministry of Justice and the Police (see details below).
· The opening of the conference will be shown live at www.coe.int/minjust.
For further information see www.coe.int/minjust and www.coe.int/violence.
Estelle Steiner, Press Officer, Council of Europe, Tel. +33 (0)3 88 41 33 35, mobile +33 (0)6 08 46 01 57, firstname.lastname@example.org
Marit Hofsmarken Haugen, Senior Communications Adviser, Norwegian Ministry of Justice and the Police, Tel. +47 22 24 52 02, email@example.com
Council of Europe Directorate of
Tel: +33 (0)3 88 41 25 60
Fax:+33 (0)3 88 41 39 11