Resolution 329 (2011)1
Local elections in Moldova (5 June 2011)
1. Free and fair elections, at national but also at local and regional level, constitute an integral part of democratic processes in Council of Europe member states.
2. The Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe welcomes the fact that, since its accession to the Council of Europe in 1995, Moldova has been committed to strengthening local and regional democracy.
3. The Congress also acknowledges the ambitious reform programmes undertaken by the Moldovan authorities to strengthen democracy, human rights and the rule of law and to boost decentralisation and European integration.
4. The Congress takes note of the draft recommendation regarding the findings of the mission to observe the local elections in Moldova on 5 June 2011.
5. Given the above, and in conformity with its Resolution 306 (2010) on observation of local and regional elections – strategy and rules of the Congress:
a. asks its Monitoring Committee to take note of this draft resolution and to take it into account in the framework of its mission to assess the progress made by the country in honouring its commitments to the European Charter of Local Self-Government (ETS No. 122);
b. decides to examine, in co-ordination with the relevant Council of Europe bodies, ways of supporting Moldova in pursuing reforms for the further improvement of election administration and the strengthening of local and regional democracy.
1. Debated and approved by the Chamber of Local Authorities on 19 October 2011 and adopted by the Congress on 20 October 2011, 3rd Sitting (see Document CPL(21)4, explanatory memorandum), rapporteur: H. Weninger, Austria (L, SOC).