Strasbourg, 18-20 October 2011
Local elections in Albania (8 May 2011)
Resolution 328 (2011)1
1. The Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe thanks the Albanian authorities, the political actors, the media and the representatives of the international and diplomatic community for the fruitful cooperation established during the municipal elections held in Albania on 8 May 2011. It welcomes the renewed cooperation with the Committee of the Regions of the European Union that joined the Congress observation mission with four of its members.
2. The Congress affirms its interest in strengthening the co-operation with international organisations with a view to optimising the observation of local elections and welcomes, in particular the synergies established with the OSCE Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights (ODIHR).
3. Taking note of the Report on Municipal Elections in Albania [document CG/BUR(20)21], the Congress considers that the local elections of 8 May were characterised by a transparency engagement but experienced tensions between the two main coalitions: the electoral campaign, which should have been centred on municipal issues and local needs, was mainly centred on national politics and/or on personal allegations between candidates.
4. The Congress deplores the lack of political dialogue necessary for a constructive and loyal electoral competition. In this respect, in the interest of local communities, efforts should be made to accept all constructive decisions and go beyond partisan positions.
5. In the light of the points above the Congress:
a. calls on the Albanian local and regional authorities to promote the conditions aimed at establishing a better political dialogue between them, with a view to building constructive relationships – a fundamental component of good governance;
b. affirms its readiness to contribute, as a political forum, to set-up and implement a post-election action plan of the Council of Europe;
c. decides to develop and reinforce the cooperation with the OSCE Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights (ODIHR) in view of a complementary and harmonised action;
d. asks its Monitoring Committee to consider the results of the election observation mission in the preparation of the monitoring report on local and regional democracy in Albania, scheduled for 2012.
1 Debated and approved by the Chamber of Local Authorities on 19 October 2011 and adopted by the Congress on 20 October 2011, 3rd sitting (see Document CPL(21)3, explanatory memorandum) Rapporteur: V.Gebel Germany (L, ILDG)