Strasbourg, 22-24 March 2011
Local elections in Ukraine (31 October 2010)
Resolution 322 (2011)1
1. Free and fair elections, at national but also at territorial level, constitute an integral part of democratic processes in Council of Europe member states.
2. The Congress of Local and Regional Authorities welcomes that, since its accession to the Council of Europe in 1995, Ukraine has committed herself to strengthening local and regional democracy.
3. It also acknowledges the efforts of Ukraine in respect of its ongoing reform process of democratic structures, electoral legislation and local self-government.
4. The Congress takes note of the Draft Recommendation regarding the findings of the mission to observe the local elections in Ukraine of 31 October 2010.
5. Given the above, and in conformity with its Resolution 306(2010) – on strategy and rules for the observation of local and regional elections, the Congress,
a. mandates its Monitoring Committee to take note of this Draft Recommendation and to take it into account during the foreseen assessment of the progress made by the country in honouring her commitments to the European Charter of Local Self-Government ;
b. decides to examine, in co-ordination with other Council of Europe bodies, ways of supporting Ukraine in devising and implementing the necessary reforms for a tangible improvement of local and regional democracy.