Resolution 59 (1998)1 on the situation of local and regional self-government in the Republic of Moldova
1. Having regard to the interim report on the situation of local and regional democracy in the Republic of Moldova drawn up by the two co-rapporteurs, Mr Lycourgos (Cyprus) and Mr Muller (France) and examined by the Chamber of Local Authorities and the Chamber of Regions;
2. Having regard to Recommendation No. 38 on the same subject;
3. Recommends that the national associations of local and regional authorities provide all the assistance they can to the new Moldovan associations (the Federation of Local and Regional Authorities and the Association of Mayors) in their efforts to set up effective structures and promote local self-government at a practical level in their country;
4. Calls on the Moldovan associations of local and regional authorities to consider setting up separate associations for the local authorities and the regions once the law on the 8 new regions has been passed;
5. Instructs the Working Group on the situation of local democracy in Moldova and the Working Group on regionalisation to continue examining local and regional self-government in the Republic of Moldova and submit a final report as soon as possible.