Press release - 732(2008)
Security, privacy and access to the Internet to be tackled at Council of Europe
Strasbourg, 16.10.2008 – Cybercrime, data protection, online child protection, web access for people with disabilities and the sale of counterfeit medicines on the web will be discussed at a two-day conference opening on Monday 20 October at the Council of Europe in Strasbourg (France).
Some 150 representatives from the business community, governments and civil society will engage in the first European Dialogue on Internet Governance (EuroDIG) to discuss issues regarding the Internet and the way it is governed in order to develop and shape European perspectives in preparation for the United Nations Internet Governance Forum, to be held in Hyderabad (India) from 3 to 6 December 2008.
The conference will be webcast live at mms://webcast.coe.int/live1_original.
· Ayesha Hassan, International Chamber of Commerce – BASIS
· Frédéric Riehl, Deputy Director General, OFCOM, Switzerland
· Ilkka Lakaniemi, Nokia Siemens Networks
· Francisco Mingorance, Business Software Alliance
· Lee Hibbard, Council of Europe Media and Information Society Division
· Rolf Weber, Zürich University, Switzerland
· Bertrand de la Chapelle, Special Envoy for the Information Society, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, France
· Wolf Ludwig, EURALO-Board, Neuchatel, Comunica-ch
· Rudi Vansnick, ISOC European Chapters Coordinating Council
· Martin Boyle, NOMINET
· Wolfgang Kleinwächter, University of Aarhus
· Thomas Schneider, OFCOM, Switzerland
The opening session will be chaired by Council of Europe Deputy Secretary General Maud de Boer-Buquicchio.
The full programme and more information are available at www.eurodig.org and www.coe.int/internetgovernance.
· The event – open to the press – will start on Monday 20 October at 11 am (Council of Europe, Agora Building, Allée des Droits de l’Homme, Room G03).
· EuroDIG is organised by the Council of Europe in partnership with “The Club of Rome – European Support Centre”, Comunica-ch, the European At-Large Organisation (EURALO), Euro-NF, the European Parliament, the German Association of Internet Economy, the Finnish, French, Icelandic and Swiss governments, INHOPE, the International Chamber of Commerce, INSAFE, ISOC-ECC and NOMINET.
Estelle Steiner, tel. +33 3 88 41 33 35, mob. +33 6 08 46 01 57, firstname.lastname@example.org
Panos Kakaviatos, tel. +33 3 90 21 50 27, email@example.com
Council of Europe Press Division
Tel: +33 (0)3 88 41 25 60
Fax:+33 (0)3 88 41 39 11