Media advisory - 084(2009)
Speak out against discrimination: Council of Europe launches campaign in Lisbon
Date: 9 July 2009
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Organised by the Council of Europe and the High Commission for Immigration and Intercultural Dialogue of Portugal (ACIDI).
Description: The City of Lisbon will endorse the Council of Europe anti-discrimination campaign by providing free outdoor advertising space for placement of posters in highly visible spots throughout the city.
- A launching press conference is scheduled at 11.00 am on Thursday 9 July.
- It will be held at the Biblioteca Municipal Orlando Ribeiro (Antigo Solar da Nora, Estrada de Telheiras, 146 (Freguesia do Lumiar) Tel. 21 754 90 30)
Speakers at the press conference will include:
- Rosário Farmhouse, High Commissioner for Immigration and Intercultural Dialogue
- Kattia Hernandez Ocana, Coordinator of TV Programme “We - ACIDI, IP", RTP
- Cláudia Semedo, Portuguese journalist and actress;
- Francisco Empis, Directorate of Communication, Council of Europe
Background information: Under the theme “Speak out against discrimination”, the campaign aims at raising public awareness and focuses on condemning various aspects of discrimination arising out of racist attitudes and prejudices, in particular those with an Islamophobic, anti-Semitic and anti-Gypsy background.
The campaign seeks to prepare journalists for working in a multicultural Europe and to promote good practice in the reporting of intercultural and discrimination-related issues.
It also aims at making the diversity of European societies more visible by strongly supporting the access of minorities to the media professions.
The campaign has already been launched in cities such as Barcelona, Paris, Madrid, Milan and Rome and will continue to run during 2009 throughout Europe.
In addition to the billboard campaign, various actions are planned for 2009: a TV spot, seminars for journalists, a summer school, a journalism training pack and a handbook of good practices on facilitating the access of minorities to media.
Francisco Empis, Directorate of Communication, Council of Europe
email@example.com Tel .: +351 91 757 8584 (Portuguese mobile); +33 6 28 97 27 85 (French mobile)
Council of Europe Directorate of
Tel: +33 (0)3 88 41 25 60
Fax:+33 (0)3 88 41 39 11