Media advisory - 025(2010)
“Medication – No Falsification”
Council of Europe conference on counterfeit medical products paves the way to landmark Convention
Dates: 15-16 April 2010
Venue: Basel (Switzerland) – Congress Center (Room Luzern), Messeplatz
Organised by the European Directorate for the Quality of Medicines & HealthCare (EDQM) and the Directorate General of Human Rights and Legal Affairs (Directorate of Standard-Setting
Medicrime), in the framework of the Swiss Chairmanship of the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe, and in co-operation with the Swiss Agency for Therapeutic Products (Swissmedic).
Description: The aims of this international conference are to strengthen the fight against counterfeit medical products and similar crimes in Europe and worldwide by ensuring the necessary support for the implementation of the future MEDICRIME Convention and to encourage international co-operation.
The Convention will be open to member and non-member States of the Council of Europe, as is the case for recent conventions. Considering the global threat posed by counterfeiting of medical products and similar crimes, the MEDICRIME Convention is set to have a potentially universal dimension.
The Convention will be the first instrument to oblige States Parties to criminalise:
· the manufacturing of counterfeit medical products;
· supplying, offering to supply and trafficking in counterfeit medical products;
· the falsification of documents;
· the unauthorised manufacturing or supplying of medicinal products and the placing on the market of medical devices which do not comply with conformity requirements.
The Convention also provides for a framework for national and international co-operation across the different sectors of the public administration, measures for coordination at national level, preventive measures for use by public and private sectors and protection of victims and witnesses. Furthermore, it foresees the establishment of a monitoring body to oversee the implementation of the Convention by the States Parties.
The Convention is due to be adopted by the Committee of Ministers on 11 May 2010 and opened for signature on 25 November at the Conference of Ministers of Justice in Istanbul (Turkey).
More information is available at www.coe.int/medicrime – Programme
· the conference, which is open to the press, will start at 9.30 am on Thursday 15 April;
· a press briefing is planned at 10.45 am on 15 April;
· a final press conference is scheduled at 12.30 pm on Friday 16 April (Room Chur);
· media representatives are invited to get accredited (see contacts below).
Estelle Steiner, Press Officer, Council of Europe, Tel. +33 (0)3 88 41 33 35, mobile +33 (0)6 08 46 01 57, firstname.lastname@example.org
Joachim Gross, Head of the Media Unit and Spokesperson, Swissmedic, Tel. +41 31 322 0276, mobile +41 79 828 50 67, email@example.com
Council of Europe Directorate of
Tel: +33 (0)3 88 41 25 60
Fax:+33 (0)3 88 41 39 11