Ministers' Deputies / Rapporteur Groups
Rapporteur Group on Legal Co-operation
GR-J(2006)CB1 12 January 20061
Meeting of 10 January 2006
1. The Rapporteur Group on Legal Co-operation (GR-J) met on 10 January 2006, with Mr Niels-Jørgen NEHRING, Permanent Representative of Denmark, in the Chair. The Group adopted the agenda, as contained in the letter convening the meeting (GR-J(2005)OJ10 revised).
Parliamentary Assembly Recommendation 1648 (2004) on the consequences of European Union enlargement for freedom of movement between Council of Europe member states – Draft supplementary reply
2. The GR-J discussed the revised draft reply contained in document CM/AS(2005)Rec1648 prov. and the proposal for amendment made by one delegation that was contained in document DD(2006)6. It provisionally agreed on the text with the proposed amendment (see document CM/AS(2006)Rec1648 prov. 2) with a deadline for delegations to indicate their disagreement which would expire on Thursday, 12 January 2006 at 5 pm. If there were no reactions from delegations by that time the draft reply would be transmitted to the Deputies for adoption without further debate.
Recommendation 1713 (2005) on Democratic oversight of the security sector in member states – Draft reply
3. The majority of the delegations that spoke indicated that they agreed with the revised draft reply contained in document GR-J(2005)19 revised and that they could also agree with the proposed amendment contained in document DD(2006)1. However, they had no instructions on the amendments proposed by one delegation in document DD(2006) 8 that had been distributed at the beginning of the meeting. For that reason and since the delegation in question maintained its proposals, the Group agreed to postpone the item until its next meeting.
Recommendation 1714 (2005) on Abolition of restrictions on the right to vote – Draft reply
4. The Group discussed the revised version of the draft reply contained in document CM/AS(2005)Rec1714 prov. and the amendment proposed by one delegation contained in document DD(2005)711. A number of delegations stated firmly that they could not accept the proposed amendment, whereas the delegation that had made the proposal insisted on it.
5. The Chairman suggested an informal meeting for interested delegation as a final effort to reach an agreement on the draft reply. He invited interested delegations to the meeting which would be held in Room 40 on Thursday, 12 January 2006 at 9 am.
European Commission for the efficiency of justice (CEPEJ) – Abridged report of the 6th plenary meeting (Strasbourg, 7-9 December 2005)
6. The Group agreed to transmit the relevant documents to the Deputies (CM(2005)193 and Addenda 1-3) with an invitation to adopt the draft decisions contained in document CM/Notes/953/10.3 without further debate.
Steering Committee on local and regional democracy (CDLR) – Abridged report of the 36th meeting (Strasbourg, 14-16 November 2005)
7. The Chairman noted that, as the Notes with the draft decisions had been distributed only in the morning just before the meeting, there may be reasons to postpone the item in the light of the new working methods agreed by the Deputies at their 951st meeting (14 December 2005), (CM(2005)181 revised).
8. After some discussion, the Group agreed on a silent procedure whereby the item would remain on the agenda of the Deputies’ 953rd meeting (18 January 2006, item 10.2) for adoption without further debate, unless a delegation indicated its disagreement before that date. In such case, the report would be examined by the GR-J at its next meeting on 28 February 2006.
Any other business
9. On the proposal of the Secretariat, the Group agreed to examine the new terms of reference for the Consultative Committee of European Judges (CCJE) by written procedure in order that the item may be on the Deputies agenda on 15 February 2006. There was some urgency with the adoption of the terms of reference as a meeting was being organised in Bucharest on 22 March 2006 in the framework of the Romanian chairmanship of the Committee of Ministers.
Date of the next meeting
10. The next meeting would take place on Tuesday, 28 February 2006 at 10 am.
11. The Chairman recalled the new deadlines for submitting amendments agreed by the Deputies at their 951st meeting (14 December 2005) (CM(2005)181 revised).
Note 1 This document has been classified restricted at the date of issue. Unless the Committee of Ministers decides otherwise, it will be declassified according to the rules set up in Resolution Res(2001)6 on access to Council of Europe documents.