Ministers' Deputies / Rapporteur Groups
Rapporteur Group on Legal Co-operation
GR-J(2004)CB11 11October 2004
Meeting of 22 September 2004
1. The Rapporteur Group on Legal Co-operation (GR-J) met on 22 September 2004, with Mr Yuri STERK, Permanent Representative of Bulgaria, in the Chair. The Group adopted the agenda, as contained in the letter convening the meeting (GR-J(2004)OJ11).
Election of a member of the Committee of Experts of the European Charter for Regional and Minority Languages in respect of Netherlands
2. The Chair recalled the list of criteria contained in document GR-J(2004)2 revised.
3. The Group examined the candidates presented by the Netherlands and noted that they had been presented in alphabetical order. It agreed to transmit the list to the Deputies.
4. The Secretariat, Mr Philip Blair, Director of Co-operation for Local and Regional Democracy, suggested that a discussion be held in the Group, at an appropriate occasion, on how a balanced representation of different kinds of competences and qualifications could be achieved in the Charter Committee. Examination of individual country lists of candidates in isolation was insufficient to take account of the Committee's needs in this respect.
5. The Group agreed to come back to this issue.
Any other business
Date of the next meeting
7. The next meeting would be held on 12 October 2004 (3 pm).