Ministers' Deputies / Rapporteur Groups
Rapporteur Group on Human Rights
GR-H(2006)CB8 14 June 20061
Meeting of 13 June 2006
1. The Rapporteur Group on Human Rights (GR-H) met on 13 June 2006 with Ambassador C. Yerocostopoulos, Permanent Representative of Greece in the chair. The following items were discussed:
06/21 European Committee for the Prevention of Torture and Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (CPT) – Elections of members of the CPT in respect of Monaco, Spain and Turkey
(CM(2006)83, AS/Bur(2006)43, 36 et 35)
2. The GR-H held an exchange of views concerning all three lists. After a debate, the Chairman noted that all three would be forwarded to the Deputies, in the order in which they were provided by the Bureau of the Parliamentary Assembly, with a view to elections which would take place at the 969th meeting (21 June 2006). The GR-H further took note of the Secretariat's proposal to place the seat in respect of Monaco in Group A.
06/22 PA Recommendation 1729 (2005) on the activities of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) – Draft reply in co-operation with the GR-J
3. After a brief debate during which a delegation introduced a proposal for an amendment, the Chairman noted that the GR-H agreed to transmit the text as contained in document CM/AS(2006)Rec1729 prov 2 to the Deputies for adoption before the June session of the Parliamentary Assembly, i.e. at their 967th meeting (14 June 2006).
06/12 Framework Convention for the Protection of National Minorities – Debate on the draft resolution on the implementation of the Convention by the Slovak Republic
4. After a debate, the Chairman noted that the draft resolution would be submitted to the Deputies at a forthcoming meeting for adoption without further debate. The Hungarian delegation made a statement on this item which appears in the Records of the meeting.
06/23 Advisory Committee of the Framework Convention – Election of candidates in respect of Georgia
(CM(2006)82 , DD(2006)359)
5. The Chairman noted that the GR-H agreed to transmit this list to the Deputies in the order in which it was submitted by the Georgian authorities, with a view to the designation of an expert by ballot at the Deputies’ 969th meeting (21 June 2006).
06/24 Draft resolution ResCMN(2006)… on the implementation of the Framework Convention for the Protection of National Minorities in Kosovo (Serbia and Montenegro)
(GR-H(2006)13, DD(2006)370, 371, 372, 373)
6. After a debate, the Chairman noted that the draft resolution would be submitted to the Deputies at a forthcoming meeting for adoption without further debate. The Serbian delegation and the Representative of the European commission made statements on this item which appear in the Records of the meeting. In addition, documents submitted by UNMIK and the Serbian authorities are appended to the Records.
- Any other business
06/25 116th Session of the Committee of Ministers (Strasbourg, 18-19 May 2006) – Follow-up
Follow-up to be given to the Declaration of the Committee of Ministers on sustained action to ensure the effectiveness of the implementation of the European Convention on Human Rights at national and European levels
7. Following a debate during which amendments were proposed (see inter alia document DD(2006)368), the GR-H examined revised draft decisions prepared in the light of points made in the discussions and the Chairman noted that this draft would be submitted to the Deputies for adoption at their 967th meeting on 14 June 2006.
- Date of the next meeting
8. The next meeting of the GR-H will take place on 14 September 2006 at 10 a.m. In the meantime a brief informal meeting would be required, probably on 12 July before the opening of the Deputies’ meeting, in order to hold an informal exchange of views on candidates for election to the list of experts eligible to serve on the Advisory Committee of the Framework Convention in respect of the Netherlands.
Note 1 This document has been classified restricted at the date of issue. Unless the Committee of Ministers decides otherwise, it will be declassified according to the rules set up in Resolution Res(2001)6 on access to Council of Europe documents.