Ministers' Deputies / Rapporteur Groups
Rapporteur Group on Human Rights
GR-H(2006)CB12 3 November 20061
Meeting of 31 October 2006
1. The Rapporteur Group on Human Rights (GR-H) met on 31 October 2006 with Ambassador J. Sharkey, Permanent Representative of Ireland, in the chair. The following items were discussed:
Framework Convention for the protection of national minorities – Presentation by the representative of the Advisory Committee of the opinions on the implementation of the Convention by:
06/40 – Finland
(CM(2006)47, CM(2006)47 add)
06/41 – Germany
(CM(2006)50, CM(2006)50 add)
06/42 – Malta
(CM(2006)5, CM(2006)5 add)
06/43 – San Marino
(CM(2006)45, CM(2006)45 add)
2. Opening the item, the Chairman paid tribute to Mr Asbøjrn Eide, the outgoing President of the Advisory Committee, who was addressing the GR-H, and thanked him for his contribution to the work of the Group.
3. The President of the Advisory Committee presented the Opinions adopted in the framework of the second cycle of monitoring under the Framework Convention in respect of the four states concerned. His statement is reproduced in the Records of the meeting.
4. After the debate, the Chairman noted that the GR-H would resume consideration of these opinions at a future meeting on the basis of draft resolutions to be drawn up by the Secretariat in consultation with the delegations of the states concerned.
Advisory Committee of the Framework Convention – Election of candidates in respect of:
06/44 – Lithuania
06/45 – Sweden
06/49 – Ireland
06/50 – Ukraine
5. After debate, the Chairman noted expressions of preference by Lithuania for Ms Ziobiene, by Sweden for Ms Spiliopoulou Åkermark, by Ireland for Ms Crickley and no preference on the part of the Ukrainian delegation. This being the case, the GR-H agreed to transmit all four lists, in the order in which they were submitted by the respective delegations to the Deputies with a view to the designation of experts by ballot at the Deputies’ 979th meeting (8 November 2006).
06/46 European Social Charter – European Committee of Social Rights (ECSR) – Election of members
(CM(2006)173, CM(2006)173 add and CM(2006)173 addcorr, CM/Notes/979/4.4)
6. The Chairman concluded following the informal exchange of views, that all the candidates met the requirements, and would be transmitted to the Deputies with a view to the election of five members at their 979th meeting (8 November 2006).
06/32 Parliamentary Assembly Recommendation 1735 (2006) – The concept of “nation” – Draft reply
7. Following a debate during which further amendments were proposed, the Chairman concluded that the item would be transmitted to the Deputies at their 983rd meeting (13 December 2006) with a recommendation to refer it to the DH-MIN for expert consideration and a draft interim reply to the Assembly.
06/47 Follow-up to the Conference on the “Influence of the European Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms on the progress of the European states’ legal systems” (Yaroslavl, 28-30 June 2006)
8. The Chairman noted that there was agreement within the GR-H to propose the adoption by the Deputies of the draft decision circulated at the meeting as amended, providing referral of the recommendations to the CDDH for information.
06/48 European Commission against Racism and Intolerance (ECRI) - Examination of a curriculum vitae
9. Following an informal exchange of views, the Chairman noted that the curriculum vitae of the proposed member in respect of Ireland would be submitted to the Deputies at their 979th meeting (8 November 2006) so that the appropriate decision may be taken without further debate.
- Any other business
10. See items 06/44 and 06/45 above.
- Date of the next meeting
11. The next meeting of the GR-H will take place on Thursday 14 December 2006 at 10 a.m.
Note 1 This document has been classified restricted at the date of issue. Unless the Committee of Ministers decides otherwise, it will be declassified according to the rules set up in Resolution Res(2001)6 on access to Council of Europe documents.