Ministers' Deputies / Drafting Groups
Informal, Open-ended Drafting Group on the Third Summit
DRAFTSUM(2005)8 revised 20 April 2005
Third Council of Europe Summit: practical arrangements and programme
A. List of Participants
- 46 Council of Europe member states
- Observer states (Canada, Holy See, Japan, Mexico, the United States)
- the Secretary General and the Deputy Secretary General of the Council of Europe
- the President and the Secretary General of the Parliamentary Assembly
- the President of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe
- the President of the European Court of Human Rights
- the Commissioner for Human Rights
- the President of the European Commission for Democracy through Law (Venice Commission)
- the Chairman of the Governing Board and the Governor of the Council of Europe Development Bank
- President of the Council of Europe's INGO Conference
- the Secretary-General of the United Nations
- the Chairman-in-Office of the Council of the European Union and the Secretary-General / High Representative for the Common Foreign and Security Policy
- the President of the European Commission
- the Chairman-in-Office and the Secretary General of the OSCE.
B. List of Speakers
- Heads of State or Government of the 46 Council of Europe member states1
- Heads of State or Government of the 5 Observer states1
- Secretary General of the Council of Europe
- President of the Parliamentary Assembly
- President of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe
- Secretary-General of the United Nations
- Chairman-in-Office of the Council of the European Union2 and Secretary-General / High Representative for the Common Foreign and Security Policy
- President of the European Commission
- Chairman-in-Office2 and Secretary General of the OSCE.
Without formally being integrated in the speakers' list, the President of the European Court of Human Rights and the Chairperson of the INGOs enjoying participatory status with the Council of Europe will be invited by the Chair to make a short intervention in the Summit. The Chairman of the European Youth Forum will also briefly report on the youth Summit which will have taken place in Warsaw just before the Third Summit.
The Summit will be divided into three sessions, as follows:
1. European unity, European values;
2. Challenges for European society;
3. European architecture.
The sessions will take place on Monday 16 May in the morning, Monday 16 May in the afternoon and Tuesday 17 May in the morning respectively. The Chair of the Session will act as a moderator.
The Summit will be a public event. Its proceedings will be broadcast live using new communication technologies. The texts of the speeches will be distributed to the press and made available to the public on the Summit website immediately after the speakers' statements (an embargo will be applied to all speeches according to the usual "check against delivery" rule).
The preliminary programme of the Summit is appended.
D. List of Speakers / Speaking time
The total amount of time available to each speaker (at the level of Head of State or Government) will be 9 minutes. Within this time allocation flexible arrangements can be applied according to the speakers' wishes.
This means that each speaker will basically have the opportunity:
- either to address particular themes within the relevant session (i.e. 3 interventions each lasting 3 minutes).
- or to make a single statement covering all the aspects dealt with in the Summit (one intervention of 9 minutes)
If necessary, other options (for example one intervention of 6 minutes at one session and a second intervention of 3 minutes at another session) are also possible, subject to prior notification.
A list of speakers will be established by the Chair for each session, taking into account information received from participants regarding their availability and the way they want to address the Summit. The choice indicated will structure the order of Speakers for Sessions, with priority given to longer and thematic oriented speeches (if indicated).
A time slot for reactions will be allotted at the end of each session, once all speakers on the list have finished their statements.
In addition, all participants will have the opportunity to make written contributions of either a general or specific nature, which will be made available in the meeting room and included in the records of the Summit.
E. Family Photo
The timing of the family photo will be decided according to information received regarding participation. All speakers in the speakers' list will be invited to appear on it.
Third Council of Europe Summit: Preliminary Programme
Sunday, 15 May 2005
Arrival of the Delegations in Warsaw
Monday, 16 May 2005
9.30 - 10.00 Transfer of the Delegations to the Royal Castle
10.00 Family photo / Opening of the Summit.
10.15 - 12.50 First Plenary Session: “European unity, European values”
13.00 - 14.30 Lunch hosted by the Prime Minister of the Republic of Poland
15.00 - 18.00 Second Plenary Session: “Challenges for European society”
[18.30 Opening for signature of the Convention on the prevention of terrorism, the Convention against trafficking in human beings and the Revised Convention on laundering, search, seizure and confiscation of the proceeds from crime]
20.003 State Dinner hosted by the President of the Republic of Poland
Tuesday, 17 May 2005
9.30 - 12.30 Third Plenary Session: “European architecture”
12.30-12.45 Closing of the Summit / Adoption of the Declaration and the Action Plan
12.45 Handover of the Chairmanship of the Committee of Ministers from Poland to Portugal
13.00 Lunch hosted by the Council of Europe Secretary General
Note 1 In their absence at the Summit or at part of it, the Ministers for Foreign Affairs of Member Countries or Observer States may take the floor.
Note 2 It is understood that the Heads of State or Government of the countries chairing the European Union and the OSCE will address the Summit both in their national capacity and ex officio.
Note 3 Exact timing to be confirmed.