Notes on the Agenda
CM/Notes/988/1.5 19 February 20071
988 Meeting, 21 February 2007
1 General questions
1.5 Election of the Deputy Secretary General
Examination of nominations
CM(2007)9 and CM(2007)9 add
To examine a nomination for the post of Deputy Secretary General and to agree upon the arrangements for interview.
1. At their 981st meeting (29 November 2006, item 1.5), the Deputies approved the timetable concerning the procedure for the election of the Deputy Secretary General.
2. In accordance with point 1 of the timetable, the closing date for the nomination of candidates was set at 15 February 2007.
3. By the above-mentioned date, the Secretary General had received the nomination of one candidate:
- Ms Maud de Boer-Buquicchio, on behalf of the Governments of the Netherlands and Italy on 5 December 2006 and 26 January 2007 respectively.
4. The nomination letters and accompanying curriculum vitae are reproduced in documents CM(2007)9 and CM(2007)9 add.
5. In accordance with point 2 of the timetable concerning the procedure for the election of the Deputy Secretary General, the Deputies are invited, at the present meeting, to examine the nomination and, if necessary, to decide to call the candidate for a personal interview by the Committee or a sub-committee appointed for this purpose (Rule 3 of the Rules concerning the appointment to the posts of Secretary General, Deputy Secretary General and Secretary General of the Assembly having the rank of Deputy Secretary General).
6. In accordance with the approved timetable, this interview could take place during the 990th meeting of the Ministers' Deputies (21 March 2007).
7. As regards the practical arrangements for the interview, if it is decided to hold one, the Deputies might wish to follow those used at their previous examination of nominations to the post of Deputy Secretary General (21 February 2002), namely:
- the candidate to be informed by the Secretariat of the date for the interview;
- invitation to the candidate to outline her views for about fifteen minutes, after which the Deputies may ask questions;
- length of the interview, including questions and answers, not to exceed one hour.
8. Once these arrangements have been agreed, the Secretariat would notify the candidate of them.
9. It will also be recalled that the Deputies have already agreed to consult the Assembly at a meeting of the Joint Committee, scheduled for April 2007.
10. Lastly, a resolution to be forwarded to the Assembly with a view to the appointment of the Deputy Secretary General must be adopted at a meeting of the Ministers’ Deputies in May 2007.
988th meeting – 21 February 2007
Election of the Deputy Secretary General –
Examination of nominations
(CM(2007)9 and CM(2007)9 add)
1. agreed to invite the candidate for the post of Deputy Secretary General to an interview;
2. agreed that the interview shall take place during their 990th meeting (21 March 2007);
3. instructed the Secretariat to inform the candidate of the practical arrangements for the interview.
Note 1 This document has been classified restricted at the date of issue. Unless the Committee of Ministers decides otherwise, it will be declassified according to the rules set up in Resolution Res(2001)6 on access to Council of Europe documents.