Notes on the Agenda
CM/Notes/983/1.7 11 December 20061
983 Meeting, 13 December 2006
1 General questions
1.7 Follow-up Committee on the Third Summit
a. Setting-up of the high level group entrusted with examining the follow-up to the Juncker report: - Draft terms of reference of the group
Item prepared by CM-SUIVI3 on 27.10.2006
Documents de reference:
CM-SUIVI3(2006)CB13, CM/Del/Dec(2006)979/1.6a and CM/Del/Dec(2006)981/1.6a
Adopt the following decisions.
At its meeting on 27 October 2006 (cf document CM-SUIVI3(2006)CB13), the Follow-up Committee on the Third Summit exchanged views on the setting up of a high level group to consider follow-up to the Juncker report. Following this exchange of views, the committee instructed the Secretariat to prepare draft terms of reference for the group, for examination and adoption at the 979th meeting of the Deputies (8-9 November 2006). However,as the European Union declared that it was not, at this stage, ready to take a stand on this issue, the item was postponed, first to the 981st, then to the present meeting.
I should be noted, in this context, that the Secretary General and the representative of the Parliamentary Assembly recalled that it had been understood that they would be part of this high level group on the Council of Europe side. They consequently requested that this be reflected in the draft decisions.
Consequently, the Deputies are invited to consider, with a view to their adoption, the draft decisions initially foreseen, as amended in order to take account of the remarks made by the Secretary General and by the representative of the Parliamentary Assembly.
983rd meeting – 13 December 2006
Follow-up Committee on the Third Summit
a. Setting up of the high level group entrusted with examining the follow-up to the Juncker report - Draft terms of reference of the group
(CM-SUIVI3(2006)CB13, CM/Del/Dec(2006)979/1.6a and 981/1.7a)
1. agreed that the terms of reference of the high level follow-up group set up by the Committee of Ministers at its 116th Session should read as follows:
"To prepare a report on arrangements for implementing the recommendations put forward by Prime Minister Jean-Claude Juncker in his report presented on 10 April 2006, to identify its legal, institutional and financial implications and propose a roadmap for implementing these recommendations;"
2. decided that the high level follow-up group would comprise, as Council of Europe representatives, the Chair-in-Office of the Committee of Ministers, the outgoing Chair, the incoming Chair, the Secretary General and the President of the Parliamentary Assembly, on the understanding that a meeting at the level of political directors would precede the ministerial meeting;
3. recalled the invitation addressed to the European Union to participate in the follow-up group;
4. instructed the CM-SUIVI3 to prepare the work of the high level follow-up group by drawing up a report for it on possible arrangements for implementing Prime Minister Jean-Claude Juncker's recommendations;
5. invited the high-level follow-up group to meet at ministerial level before the 117th Session of the Committee of Ministers (10 and 11 May 2007) to examine the report prepared by the CM-SUIVI3.
Note 1 This document has been classified restricted at the date of issue. Unless the Committee of Ministers decides otherwise, it will be declassified according to the rules set up in Resolution Res(2001)6 on access to Council of Europe documents.