1. The Committee of Legal Advisors on Public International Law (CAHDI) held its 24th meeting in Bratislava on 9 and 10 September 2002. The abridged report of this meeting appears in document CM(2002)140.
2. On this occasion, the CAHDI, inter alia:
2.1 adopted, at the request of the European Committee on Legal Co-operation (CDCJ) and its Committee of Experts on Nationality (CJ-NA), an opinion of the possibility of partial denunciation of the 1963 Convention on the Reduction of Cases of Multiple Nationality and on Military Obligations in Cases of Multiple Nationality (STE 43). The Ministers’ Deputies are invited to take note of this opinion, which appears in Appendix II to CM(2002)140;
2.2 approved its draft specific terms of reference for 2003-2004 as they appear in Appendix III to CM(2002)140. The Ministers’ Deputies are invited to examine these terms of reference with a view to their adoption;
2.3 elected Ambassador Michel (Switzerland) as Chair of the CAHDI for 2003, and paid tribute to Ambassador Tomka (Slovakia) for his excellent contribution to the work of the CAHDI, which he had chaired in 2001 and 2002.
3. In addition, the CAHDI took note of the decisions adopted by the European Committee on Crime Problems (CDPC), subsequently endorsed by the Committee of Ministers, particularly with regard to the creation of a Group of Experts for consultation on the International Criminal Court (PC-S-ICC), and entrusted its Chair with the task of representing the CAHDI on this Group.
4. As part of its function as European Observatory of reservations to international treaties, the CAHDI examined, inter alia, the reservations and declarations to certain international treaties applicable to the fight against terrorism.
5. The CAHDI held an exchange of views on developments concerning the International Criminal Court, especially those concerning the bilateral agreements covering the non-surrender of nationals, currently being negotiated and concluded in the light of Article 98 of the Statute of Rome.
6. The other items dealt with by the CAHDI at its 24th meeting are mentioned in the abridged report (CM(2002)140); the Ministers’ Deputies are invited to take note of this document as a whole.
816th meeting, 13 November 2002
Committee of Legal Advisers on Public International Law (CAHDI) –
Abridged report of the 24th meeting (Bratislava, 9-10 September 2002)
1. adopted the specific terms of reference of the Committee of Legal Advisors on Public International Law (CAHDI) for the period 2003-2004 as they appear in Appendix … to the present volume of Decisions [see Appendix III to CM(2002)140];
2. took note of the CAHDI’s opinion concerning the possibility of partial denunciation of the 1963 Convention on the Reduction of Cases of Multiple Nationality and on Military Obligations in Cases of Multiple Nationality (ETS 43), as set out in Appendix II to CM(2002)140;
3. took note of the abridged report of the CAHDI’s 24th meeting (CM(2002)140), as a whole.