Notes on the Agenda
CM/Notes/1085/1.5 18 May 20101
1085 Meeting, 26 May 2010
1 General questions
1.5 120th Session of the Committee of Ministers
(Strasbourg, 11 May 2010) – Follow-up
CM(2010)PV prov, CM(2010)PV add1, CM(2010)PV add2 prov, CM/Inf(2010)18, CM/Inf(2010)19
To discuss the outcome and follow-up action to the Committee of Ministers' 120th Session with a view to adopting the relevant decisions (see draft below).
1. The Committee of Ministers held its 120th Session in Strasbourg on 11 May 2010, with Ms Micheline Calmy-Rey, Minister for Foreign Affairs of Switzerland, in the Chair.
2. The statements made by the Ministers and other participants during the 120th Session are set out in full in the draft minutes prepared by the Secretariat (document CM(2010)PV1 prov). The decisions adopted during the Session appear in document CM(2010)PV1 addendum 1. National position papers are contained in document CM(2010)PV1 add2 prov.
3. The priorities of the incoming Chairmanship of the Committee of Ministers were presented at the end of the Session (document CM/Inf(2010)19).
4. Furthermore, Minister Antonio MILOSHOSKI informed delegations that the intention of the Turkish authorities was to invite the Committee of Ministers to hold its 121st Session in May 2011 in Istanbul.
5. At the close of the Session, Minister MILOSHOSKI reported on the discussions held during the informal working lunch on the theme “The strategic role and responsibility of the Council of Europe: Bosnia and Herzegovina”.
6. The Deputies are invited to hold a general discussion on the outcome of the Session and to adopt the enclosed draft decisions on the follow-up to the decisions adopted by the Ministers at the Ministerial Session.
1085th meeting – 26 May 2010
120th Session of the Committee of Ministers (Strasbourg, 11 May 2010) –
(CM(2010)PV prov, CM(2010)PV add1, CM(2010)PV add2 prov, CM/Inf(2010)18, CM/Inf(2010)19)
The Deputies, on the basis of the decisions taken at the 120th Session and the discussions held,
On the Follow-up to the High-level Conference on the future of the European Court of Human Rights (Interlaken, 18-19 February 2010)
having regard to the determination of the Ministers to implement the Interlaken outcome in a timely manner and underlining the importance of the precise deadlines which they have set out to this end,
1. invited their Ad hoc working party on the follow-up to the Interlaken process (GT-Suivi.Interlaken) to bring its work forward in a sustained manner in order to ensure the swift and effective implementation of the decisions taken at the Ministerial Session;
2. decided to intensify their efforts in making the supervision of the execution of the judgments delivered by the European Court of Human Rights more effective and transparent, so as to conclude their work within the deadline fixed by the Ministers;
On the Proposal for a partnership between the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe and the Ministers of member States responsible for local and regional government
3. invited their Rapporteur Group on Democracy (GR-DEM), with the input of the European Committee on Local and Regional Democracy (CDLR), to develop proposals for a partnership between the Council of Europe Conference of Ministers responsible for Local and Regional Government and the Committee of Ministers, and to report back to them in due course before the 121st Ministerial Session;
On the Relations between the Council of Europe and the European Union,
4. invited their Rapporteur Group on External Relations (GR-EXT) to continue to follow developments in the co-operation between the Council of Europe and the European Union on the basis of the Memorandum of Understanding and in the context of future accession by the European Union to the European Convention on Human Rights, and to report back to them on its conclusions in due course;
On the Strategic role and responsibility of the Council of Europe: Bosnia and Herzegovina
5. recalled the decisions adopted at their 1078th meeting (HR) (4 March 2010) in the context of the supervision of the execution of the judgment delivered by the European Court of Human Rights in the case of Sejdić and Finci, and invited the authorities of Bosnia and Herzegovina to take all appropriate steps to implement them as soon as possible;
6. reiterated the willingness of the Council of Europe to provide assistance in this context;
7. invited their Rapporteur Group on Democracy (GR-DEM) to continue to follow the implementation by Bosnia and Herzegovina of its obligations and commitments to the Council of Europe, and to report back to them on its conclusions in due course;
On the draft Council of Europe Convention on the Counterfeiting of Medical Products and Similar Crimes involving Threats to Public Health
8. invited their Rapporteur Group on on Legal Co-operation (GR-J) to pursue its work with a view to finalising the draft Convention as soon as possible so that the Convention can be opened for signature before the end of 2010;
On the Date and venue of the next Ministerial Session
9. agreed to hold the 121st Session of the Committee of Ministers on 11 May 2011 in Istanbul, in the framework of the Turkish chairmanship.
Note 1 This document has been classified restricted at the date of issue; it will be declassified in accordance with Resolution Res(2001)6 on access to Council of Europe documents.