Notes on the agenda
CM/Notes/1082/1.5 8 April 20101
1082 Meeting, 14 April 2010
1 General questions
1.5 120th Session of the Committee of Ministers
(Strasbourg, 11 May 2010) - Preparation
CM(2008)34, CM/Del/Dec(2010)1080/1.5, CM/Del/Dec(2010)1081/1.5
To continue the preparation of the 120th Session of the Committee of Ministers.
Theme for the informal part of the Session
1. At their 1081st meeting (31 March 2010), the Deputies decided that the informal part of the 120th Session of the Committee of Ministers, which will take the form of a working lunch restricted to ministers, will be devoted to the following theme: “The strategic role and responsibility of the Council of Europe: Bosnia and Herzegovina”.
2. Following this decision, Minister Calmy-Rey, outgoing Chair, and Minister Antonio Milososki, incoming Chair, will shortly send a joint letter of invitation to their counterparts of the 47 member states to inform them of the theme chosen for the discussion and to draw their attention to the importance of contributing in this debate.
Items for discussion at the formal part of the Session
3. The following information regarding the state of preparation of the items to be included in the draft agenda of the formal part of the Session is brought to the attention of the Deputies:
- follow-up to the High-level Conference on the future of the European Court of Human Rights (Interlaken, 18-19 February 2010). In this connection, it is recalled that the Deputies set up, at their 1080th meeting (24 March 2010), an open-ended ad hoc working party to steer, under their authority, the follow-up process to the Interlaken Declaration as a whole (GT-SUIVI.Interlaken). This group will hold three meetings, on 13 and 23 April and 4 May 2010, to prepare draft decisions in due time for the 120th Session;
- action taken by the Council of Europe following the conflict in Georgia. The Ministers will be invited to discuss this issue on the basis of the report which the Deputies invited the Secretary General to prepare at their 1080th meeting (cf. CM/Del/Dec(2010)1080/2.1);
- reform process of the Council of Europe2. Under this item, the Ministers will be invited to take note of the state of progress of work in this area, in light of the Secretary General’s proposals of January 2010 and to be made on 21 April 2010;
- relations between the Council of Europe and the European Union. The preparation of a report on the co-operation between the Council of Europe and the European Union3 will be carried out by the Rapporteur Group on External Relations (GR-EXT) at its meeting on 22 April 2010.
With respect to these items, ministers could be invited to adopt decisions without debate (in the box) which will appear in the Minutes of the Session.
4. It is recalled that other decisions may be submitted to the ministers for adoption, depending on the progress of work carried out within the Organisation, in particular:
- the draft Council of Europe Convention on the Counterfeiting of Medical Products and Similar Crimes involving Threats to Public Health. The Rapporteur Group on Legal Co-operation (GR-J) should finalise the draft convention at its meeting on 13 April 2010. It is envisaged that the ministers adopt this convention at the 120th Session of the Committee of Ministers;
- the proposal to establish a partnership between the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe and the ministers of member states responsible for Local and Regional Government. In the framework of the follow-up to be given to the 16th Session of the Council of Europe Conference of Ministers responsible for Local and Regional Government (Utrecht, Netherlands, November 2009), it was proposed that a decision be submitted to the ministerial Session, in the light of the report by Ms Mari Kiviniemi, the Minister of Public Administration and Local Government of Finland, regarding the establishment of a possible partnership between the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe and the Ministers responsible for Local and Regional Government (cf. CM/Del/Dec(2010)1076/2.3). At the 1081st Deputies’ meeting, the Permanent Representative of Finland indicated that she would shortly present a draft text on the subject;
- the draft Recommendation of the Committee of Ministers to member states on the Council of Europe Charter on Education for Democratic Citizenship and Human Rights Education. The Rapporteur Group on Education, Culture, Sport, Youth and Environment (GR-C) should finalise this draft recommendation at its meeting of 20 April 2010. This new non binding charter could become the reference in the field of education for democratic citizenship and human rights and thus be part of the follow-up to the Interlaken Conference (CM(2010)32 and CM(2010)32add). It could be envisaged that the ministers adopt this charter at the 120th Session of the Committee of Ministers.
5. Institutional matters linked to the handover of the chairmanship (stocktaking of the achievements of the outgoing chair and presentation of the priorities of the incoming chair) will also be included on the agenda of the formal Session.
6. Finally, it is recalled that, at the 1081st meeting, the Chairman informed the Deputies that the 120th Session will not give rise to the adoption of a final communiqué.
7. The Chair informed the Deputies that letters of invitation will soon be sent to the various participants that they agreed would be invited to the 120th Session (CM/Del/Dec(2010)1080/1.5).
1082nd meeting – 14 April 2010
120th Session of the Committee of Ministers (Strasbourg, 11 May 2010) - Preparation
(CM(2008)34, CM/Del/Dec(2010)1080/1.5, CM/Del/Dec(2010)1081/1.5)
The Deputies agreed to resume consideration of the preparation of the 120th Session at their next meeting, in the light of a preliminary draft annotated agenda which will be prepared by the Secretariat.
120th Session of the Committee of Ministers
Strasbourg, 11 May 2010
9.30: Formal Session
Preliminary draft agenda
1. Adoption of the agenda
2. Follow-up to the High-level Conference on the future of the European Court of Human Rights (Interlaken, 18-19 February 2010)
3. Action taken by the Council of Europe following the conflict in Georgia
4. Reform process of the Council of Europe
5. Relations between the Council of Europe and the European Union
6. Strategic role and responsibility of the Council of Europe: Bosnia and Herzegovina
7. Other business
8. Transfer of the Chairmanship between Switzerland and "The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia"
- Report of the outgoing Chairmanship
- Priorities of the incoming Chairmanship
9. Date and venue of the next Session
1. pm : Informal working lunch (The strategic role and responsibility of the Council of Europe: Bosnia and Herzegovina)
End of the session
3. pm: Press conference given by the outgoing and incoming Chair of the Committee of Ministers and the Secretary General
4 pm: Debriefing for delegations
Note 1 This document has been classified restricted at the date of issue; it will be declassified in accordance with Resolution Res(2001)6 on access to Council of Europe documents.
2 It is recalled that at the 119th Session, on 12 May 2009 in Madrid, the Committee of Ministers invited the Ministers’ Deputies to prepare a further report on the ongoing reform process of the Council of Europe’s organisational structures and working methods for its 120th Session in May 2010.
Note 3 It is recalled that a decision to this effect was taken by the Committee of Ministers at the 119th session, on 12 May 2009 in Madrid.