Notes on the Agenda
CM/Notes/1076/2.3 22 January 20101
1076 Meeting, 3 and 4 February 2010
2 Democracy and political questions
2.3 16th Session of the Council of Europe Conference of Ministers responsible for Local and Regional Government (16-17 November 2009, Utrecht, Netherlands) –
Report by the Secretary General
Item prepared by the GR-DEM of 12 January 2010
Action – Item proposed for adoption without debate.
To adopt the following decisions.
Financing assured: YES for 2010
Comments: As regards 2011, subject to the budgetary decisions to be adopted by the Committee of Ministers
The 16th session of the Conference of European Ministers responsible for Local and Regional Government took place in Utrecht (The Netherlands), on 16-17 November 2009. Its overall theme was “Good local and regional governance in turbulent times: the challenge of change”.
The report of the Secretary General is reproduced in document CM(2010)3. In this report, the Secretary General recalls the main features of the conference – including the informal discussion by ministers on the eve of the conference and the opening for signature of two new Council of Europe treaties – and draws the attention of the Committee of Ministers to the main points of the Utrecht Declaration.
The report was examined on 12 January 2010 by the GR-DEM, which agreed to invite the Deputies to adopt the draft decisions below.
1076th meeting – 3 and 4 February 2010
16th Session of the Council of Europe Conference of Ministers responsible for Local and Regional Government (16-17 November 2009, Utrecht, Netherlands) – Report by the Secretary General
1. agreed to consider, when preparing the next ministerial session (May 2010), the inclusion of an item on the agenda of the session regarding possible establishment of a partnership with the Ministers responsible for Local and Regional Government and to invite the Minister of Public Administration and Local Government of Finland, Ms Mari Kiviniemi, to attend the session and join in the consideration of this item;
2. took note with satisfaction that the Ministers responsible for Local and Regional Government also entrusted the Minister of Territorial Policy of Spain, Mr Manuel Chaves, with ensuring continuity of their work until the next session of the conference and instructed the European Committee on Local and Regional Democracy (CDLR) to assist him in performing this task;
3. noted that the Ministers have extended an invitation to the Congress to jointly undertake a review of the present situation of the functioning of co-operation between the Congress and the intergovernmental sector, and of all aspects of country monitoring, in the area of local self-government, and instructed the CDLR to assist the Ministers in this regard as well as with the subsequent work under the Utrecht Declaration;
4. transmitted the Utrecht Declaration to the Parliamentary Assembly and the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities;
5. having regard to decisions 1 to 4 above, took note of the Utrecht Declaration as a whole.
Note 1 This document has been classified restricted at the date of issue; it will be declassified in accordance with Resolution Res(2001)6 on access to Council of Europe documents.