Notes on the Agenda
CM/Notes/1060/1.8 2 June 20091
1060 Meeting, 10 June 2009
1 General questions
1.8 Conference of International Non-Governmental Organisations (INGOs) of the Council of Europe – Exchange of views with Mr Jean-Marie Heydt, President of the Conference
To hold an exchange of views with Mr Jean-Marie Heydt, President of the Conference of INGOs of the Council of Europe, and consider the draft decisions set out below with a view to their adoption.
1. In the context of their last exchange of views with Mrs Annelise Oeschger, the then President of the INGO Conference, on 12 March 2008, at their 1021st meeting, the Deputies had examined inter alia the prospects for future action and co-operation in keeping with the guidelines established by the Action Plan of the Third Summit.
2. The present exchange of views could be the opportunity, for the Deputies, to take note of the overview of activities and achievements of INGOs at transnational level in 2009, which Mr Jean-Marie Heydt will present, and to learn about major initiatives taken by the Conference of INGOs.
1060th meeting – 10 June 2009
Conference of International Non-Governmental Organisations (INGOs) of the Council of Europe – Exchange of views with Mr Jean-Marie Heydt, President of the Conference
1. took note of the presentation by the President of the Conference of INGOs of the fundamental objectives and main recent achievements of the INGOs Conference, as well as of the prospects for future action and co-operation;
2. agreed to examine the draft Code of good practice for civil participation in the decision-making process after the consultation of the Parliamentary Assembly and the Congress and adoption of the final version of the Code by the INGOs Conference on 1 October 2009;
3. took note of the work carried out by the Expert Council on NGO law and invited the stakeholders concerned to ensure follow-up of ensuing recommendations;
4. encouraged the INGOs Conference to continue its efforts in promoting civil society, in particular its role with regard to confidence-building measures, in close co-operation with the other bodies of the Council of Europe, in particular the Commissioner for Human Rights;
5. recalling the current budgetary context, took note of the recommendation "Conference of INGOs – a budget to meet its mission", adopted at the Conference’s plenary session of 28 January 2009.
Note 1 This document was classified restricted at the date of issue; it will be declassified in accordance with Resolution Res(2001)6 on access to Council of Europe documents.