Notes on the Agenda
CM/Notes/1040/1.7 30 October 20081
1040 Meeting, 5 November 2008
1 General Questions
1.7 Election of the Secretary General - Procedure
To adopt the calendar of the procedure for the election of the Secretary General.
At their 1037th meeting, the Deputies:
“1. fixed 6 March 2009 as the closing date for submission of candidates for the post of Secretary General, it being understood that the candidates should comply with the criteria set by the Ministers at their 117th Session;
2. agreed to adopt the exact calendar for the next steps of the procedure at one of their forthcoming meetings, when they will adopt their 2009 meetings calendar.”
At their 1039th meeting, the Deputies adopted the calendar of their 2009 meetings. They are therefore invited to adopt the calendar for the remainder of the procedure for election of the Secretary General, as it appears in the draft decision below.
1040th meeting – 5 November 2008
Election of the Secretary General - Procedure
The Deputies adopted the calendar of the procedure for the election of the Secretary General, after reception of candidatures by 6 March 2009, as follows:
· 1050th meeting ( (11 March 2009): examination of the candidatures and, if necessary, decision to call the candidates for interview by the Committee;
· 1054th meeting (15 April 2009): possible interview of candidates by the Committee;
· Second Part of the 2009 Ordinary Session of the Parliamentary Assembly (27-30 April) (exact date to be agreed with the Assembly in due time): consultation of the Assembly at a meeting of the Joint Committee;
· 119th Session (5 May 2009): adoption of Resolution which would then be forwarded to the Parliamentary Assembly with a view to the appointment of the Secretary General.
Note 1 This document has been classified restricted at the date of issue; it will be declassified in accordance with Resolution Res(2001)6 on access to Council of Europe documents.