Notes on the Agenda
CM/Notes/1037/1.7 6 October 20081
1037 Meeting, 8 October 2008
1 General Questions
1.7 Election of the Secretary General - Procedure
Regulations relating to the appointment of the Secretary General, Deputy Secretary General and Secretary General of the Assembly having rank of Deputy Secretary General
To examine the procedure for the election of the Secretary General.
At their 117th Session (11 May 2007), the Ministers adopted the following decision:
“The Committee of Ministers …
ii) agrees, concerning the procedure for election of the Secretary General, that it will henceforth present to the Parliamentary Assembly candidates who enjoy a high level of recognition, are well-known among their peers and the people of Europe, and have previously served as Heads of State or Government, or held senior ministerial office or similar status relevant to the post, and asks the governments of member states to present candidates who match this profile;
Delegations are reminded that in July the Chairman Mr Bildt wrote a letter to his colleagues, Ministers of Foreign Affairs of the Member States of the Council of Europe, in this respect.
The term of office of the Secretary General will expire on 31 August 2009. The Deputies are invited to fix the timetable leading up to the election of the Secretary General by the Parliamentary Assembly.
The procedure is laid down in the Regulations relating to the appointment of the Secretary General, Deputy Secretary General and Clerk of the Assembly (Secretary General of the Parliamentary Assembly) having rank of Deputy Secretary General, adopted by the Ministers' Deputies and the Standing Committee of the Parliamentary Assembly in 1962.
During the Joint Committee of 2 October 2008, the Assembly informed the Committee of Ministers that the election of the Secretary General will take place during the Third Part of the 2009 Ordinary Session
(22-26 June 2009). The draft timetable below is based on a countback from the date of the election. Moreover, it is designed to afford Governments sufficient time to elicit the candidature of personalities possessing the required high profile.
The exact date of the consultation within the Joint Committee will be agreed in due course in consultation with the Secretary General of the Assembly.
· 1037th meeting of the Ministers' Deputies (8 October 2008): Set closing date for submission of candidates: this might be set for 6 March 2009.
· Mid-March 2009: Examine the candidatures and, if necessary, decide to call the candidates for interview by the Committee.
· Mid-April 2009: Possible interview of candidates by the Committee.
· Second Part of the 2009 Ordinary Session of the Parliamentary Assembly (27-30 April) (exact date to be agreed with the Assembly in due time): Consultation of the Assembly at a meeting of the Joint Committee. This meeting must be held before 22 May 2009 in compliance with Rule 4 of the said Regulations which states that “Consultation shall take place, unless otherwise agreed by the Joint Committee, not less than 30 days before the opening of the Session during which the Assembly will be called upon to make the appointment.”
· May 2009: Adopt Resolution which would then be forwarded to the Parliamentary Assembly with a view to the appointment of the Secretary General.
1037th meeting – 8 October 2008
Election of the Secretary General - Procedure
1. fixed 6 March 2009 as the closing date for submission of candidates for the post of Secretary General, it being understood that the candidates should comply with the criteria set by the Ministers at their 117th Session;
2. agreed to adopt the exact calendar for the next steps of the procedure at one of their forthcoming meetings, when they will adopt their 2009 meetings calendar.
Note 1 This document has been classified restricted at the date of issue; it will be declassified in accordance with Resolution Res(2001)6 on access to Council of Europe documents.