1039th meeting – 22 October 2008
Abolition of the death penalty in all member states of the Council of Europe
(CM/Del/Dec(2001)769/4.4, CM/Del/Dec(2005)924/4.2, CM/Del/Dec(2005)939/1.1, CM/Del/Dec(2005)941/4.1, CM/Del/Dec(2006)953/4.2, CM/Del/Dec(2006)962/4.3, CM/Del/Dec(2006)974/4.1, CM/Del/Dec(2007)985/4.4, CM/Del/Dec(2007)993/4.1, CM/Del/Dec(2007)1009/4.3, CM/Del/Dec(2007)1025/4.4)
1. reiterated their strong and urgent call on the Russian Federation, as the only member state which has not yet abolished the death penalty, to take without delay all the necessary steps to transform the existing moratorium on executions into de jure abolition of the death penalty and to ratify Protocol No. 6;
2. took note of the information provided by the Russian Federation on measures taken to this effect;
3. welcomed recent initiatives on the occasion of the second European Day against the Death Penalty, in particular the signing of a joint declaration by the Council of Europe and the European Union on 10 October 2008;
4. encouraged those states which have not yet signed or ratified Protocol No. 13 to do so rapidly;
5. agreed to resume consideration of this issue at one of their forthcoming meetings, but no later than April 2009, in the light of additional information to be provided by the Russian Federation by mid-March 2009.