924th meeting – 20 and 22 April 2005
Specific terms of reference of the Select Committee of Experts on associations and co-development (MG-R-AC)
1. Name of Committee:
Select Committee of Experts on associations and co-development (MG-R-AC)
2. Type of Committee:
Select Committee of Experts
3. Source of terms of reference:
European Committee on Migration (CDMG)
4. Terms of reference:
The Committee shall have the following tasks:
Review the policy and practice in member states on how migrants' associations and other associations or organisations working to promote the socio-economic development of migrants – both in their countries of origin and destination, are supported by governments, local authorities, financial institutions and other agencies;
On the basis of its review, prepare proposals for guidelines for the support of these associations.
a. The Committee of Experts shall consist of six experts designated by the governments of the following member states: Armenia, Belgium, Denmark, France, Turkey, United Kingdom.
The Council of Europe budget will bear the travel and subsistence expenses of these six experts.
These experts shall have an extensive knowledge of the issues dealt with by the Committee of Experts.
b. The Committee of Experts shall be assisted by three experts nominated by the following organisations:
- Institut PANOS Paris (France);
- the NGO Platform on Migration and Development/Centre National de la Coopération au Développement (Belgium);
- Any third organisation which may be proposed by the Committee of Experts or the Secretariat, the participation of which will be approved by the Bureau of CDMG.
The Council of Europe budget will bear the travel and subsistence expenses of these three experts.
c. The European Union may send a representative to meetings of the Committee, without the right to vote or defrayal of expenses.
d. The following observers with the CDMG may send representatives to meetings of the Committee, without the right to vote or defrayal of expenses:
- Global Commission on International Migration (GCIM);
- International Labour Organisation (ILO);
- Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD);
- International Organisation for Migration (IOM);
- Churches' Commission for Migrants in Europe (CCME);
- International Catholic Migration Commission (ICMC);
- Caritas Europa.
6. Structures and working methods:
The Committee will hold three meetings in 2005 and 2006.
These terms of reference will expire on 31 December 2006.