Ministers’ Deputies / Bureau
CM/Bur/Del(2002)22 11 September 2002
Strasbourg, 9 September 2002
This document sets out information, in condensed form, on the items and recommendations discussed by the Bureau at its meeting on 9 September 2002.
1. State of preparation of the 807th (11 September 2002) and 808th (18 September 2002) meetings of the Ministers’ Deputies
The Bureau took note of the state of preparation of the 807th (11 September 2002) and 808th (18 September 2002) meetings of the Ministers’ Deputies and of the explanations provided by the Secretariat concerning those items for which it had not been able to dispatch reference documents on time.
807th meeting – Commemoration of the events of 11 September 2001
The Bureau noted the intention of the Secretary General to make a statement at the opening of the 807th meeting, followed by a minute’s silence. It was proposed on this occasion to invite the Consul General of the United States of America and the representatives of the other observer states to attend this ceremony. The Bureau recommended that the Committee of Ministers associate itself with the Secretary General’s statement. It also noted that the American flag would be hoisted outside the Palais de l’Europe, between two European flags.
2. Draft agendas of the 809th (2 October 2002), 811th (10 October 2002), 812th (16 October 2002), 813th (23 October 2002) and 815th (30 October 2002) meetings of the Ministers’ Deputies - items to be entrusted to Rapporteur Groups and Rapporteurs
The draft decisions and draft agendas of the 809th (2 October 2002), 811th (10 October 2002), 812th (16 October 2002), 813th (23 October 2002) and 815th (30 October 2002) meetings of the Ministers’ Deputies were set out in the Notes on the Agenda No. 807/1.2 of the present meeting (item 1.2 – "Preparation of forthcoming meetings").
3. Deadline for submitting documents for the budgetary meeting (818th, 26-28 November 2002)
The Bureau was informed that the report of the Budget Committee might be published a few days late. It took note of this and agreed to follow this matter at its future meetings.
4. Subsidiary groups of the Ministers’ Deputies
The Bureau went on to examine the vacancies in the subsidiary groups of the Ministers’ Deputies and recommended Ambassador Numan Hazar, Permanent Representative of Turkey, for the Chair of the Rapporteur Group on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (GR-AB).
It noted that the Chairman would be undertaking additional consultations concerning the vacant chairs of the Rapporteur Group on Education, Culture, Sport, Youth and Environment (GR-C) and the Steering Group on the Confidence-Building Measures Programme (CBM).
- The Bureau was informed of an invitation addressed to Ambassador Christian Ter Stepanian, Permanent Representative of Armenia, in his capacity as Rapporteur on equality between women and men
(RAP-EG), to attend the European Colloquy on “The protection and reintegration of women victims of violence and trafficking in human beings” being organised in Strasbourg on 28 and 29 October 2002 by the “Le Mouvement du Nid” association in partnership with the German “Solwodi” association and the Luxembourg “Maison de la Porte Ouverte” Foundation.
It recommended that the Deputies approve the Rapporteur’s participation in this colloquy.
- The Bureau had received a proposal from the Chairman of the Rapporteur Group on Legal Co-operation (GR-J) to hold a meeting of the GR-J in November 2002, with the participation of experts from the capital cities, with a view to examining draft Recommendation Rec(2002)… of the Committee of Ministers to the member states on common rules against corruption in the funding of political parties and election campaigns, prepared by the GMC.
It recommended that the Deputies agree to this proposal.
5. Invitation to the Committee of Ministers to participate in the “Towards a better access to justice for the citizen” Conference organised jointly by the European Commission and the Council of Europe (Brussels, 24-26 October 2002)
The Bureau recommended that the Committee of Ministers be represented at the above meeting by the Chairman of the Rapporteur Group on Legal Co-operation (GR-J), Ambassador Jirí Mucha, Permanent Representative of the Czech Republic.