Follow-up Committee on the Third Summit
CM-SUIVI3(2006)9 10 March 20061
Notes on the agenda
Meeting of 14 March 2006, at 3 pm
1. Forum for the Future of Democracy
At its last two meetings, the CM-SUIVI3 held in-depth discussions on the guidelines for the future work of the Forum for the Future of Democracy, in the light of a non-paper submitted by Sweden and written contributions from Armenia, Poland, Romania and the Secretary General. Following these discussions, the Secretary General prepared a consolidated document, distributed under reference CM-SUIVI3(2006)7.
The Delegations of the Russian Federation and Sweden informed the CM-SUIVI3 that their authorities were willing to host the next two plenary sessions of the Forum, in autumn 2006 and spring 2007. These proposals and the suggested topics of discussion were welcomed.
Consequently, the CM-SUIVI3 is invited:
– to finalise the reference document on the future work of the Forum, based on the Secretary General’s consolidated document and bearing in mind the amendments presented by Poland (DD(2006)121);
– to decide on the date and venue of the next two Forum plenary sessions, in the light of the proposals put forward by the Russian Federation and Sweden;
so that the relevant official decisions can be adopted at the 958th meeting of the Ministers’ Deputies (15 March 2006).
2. Council of Europe action to develop intercultural dialogue
CM(2005)164, CM/Inf(2005)44, CM/Inf(2005)45 and CM/Inf(2005)46, GR-C(2006)6 and GR-C(2006)8 revised
DD(2006)62 and DD(2006)64
At their 956th meeting on 15 February 2006 when discussing item 2.1b “Current political questions”, the Ministers instructed “the Secretariat to prepare an overview of work under way within the Council of Europe in the area of inter-religious and inter-cultural dialogue for examination by their Rapporteur Group on Education, Culture, Sport, Youth and Environment (GR-C) at its meeting on 7 March 2006, and subsequently by their Follow-up Committee on the Third Summit (CM-SUIVI3) at its meeting on 14 March 2006.”
Following these discussions, and in accordance with its mandate to oversee implementation of the Faro Declaration on the Council of Europe strategy to develop intercultural dialogue, the GR-C held an in-depth discussion on Council of Europe action in the field of intercultural dialogue at its meeting on 7 March (see the synopsis of the meeting GR-C(2006)CB2). At this meeting, the GR-C:
– held a preliminary exchange of views on the results of the round table on “dialogue, tolerance and education: the concerted action of the Council of Europe and the religious communities” (Kazan, 22-23 February), with the participation of the Commissioner for Human Rights;
– held an exchange of views on co-operation between the Council of Europe and ALECSO regarding intercultural dialogue, with the participation of the Director General of ALECSO;
– examined the Secretariat’s guidelines for the drafting of the White Paper on integrated policies for intercultural dialogue (GR-C(2006)8);
– took note of the overview of work under way in the Council of Europe in the field of intercultural dialogue (GR-C(2006)6) and of a Secretariat information document on the activities in this field in the European Union, UNESCO and the OSCE (GR-C(2006)9).
In the light of the above, the CM-SUIVI3 is invited to pursue its discussion on the work under way in the Council of Europe in the field of intercultural dialogue and prospects for future action, on the basis of document GR-C(2006)6 and bearing in mind the activities carried out by the Council of Europe’s main partners in the European and international arena. In this context, the CM-SUIVI3 will be invited to take a decision on the operational conclusions which will be put forward by the Chair of the GR-C and by the Co-ordinator for intercultural dialogue following the GR-C’s meeting of 7 March, particularly with regard to the guidelines for the drafting of the Council of Europe White Paper on integrated policies for intercultural dialogue (GR-C(2006)8 revised).
3. Memorandum of agreement between the Council of Europe and the European Union
At its last meeting, the CM-SUIVI3 held an initial exchange of views on the future memorandum of agreement between the Council of Europe and the European Union, on the basis of the text put forward in late 2005 by the outgoing UK presidency of the European Union, written amendments received from several member states and the contribution from the Secretary General.
Following this discussion, a consolidated document has been prepared under the authority of the Chair, based on the European Union’s initial text and supplemented by all the contributions received. This document, distributed under reference CM-SUIVI3(2006)8, should serve as a provisional working basis for further discussions, pending the quadripartite meeting in Strasbourg on 15 March and the exchange of views between the Standing Committee of the Parliamentary Assembly and Mr Juncker in Paris on 17 March.
In the light of these forthcoming events, the Chair does not intend to devote a detailed discussion to this question at the present meeting, but is willing to hear any reaction from delegations.
4. Situation regarding signatures and ratifications of Protocol 14 to the ECHR and the three conventions opened for signature in Warsaw
Under this item, and as is the case for each CM-SUIVI3 meeting, stock will be taken of the situation regarding:
–signatures and ratifications of Protocol 14 to the ECHR and the three conventions opened for signature in Warsaw;
– and member states’ intentions in this regard
with a view to the “Treaties” event which could be organised during the 116th Session of the Committee of Ministers, 18 and 19 May 2006.
5. Other business
None at present.
6. Date of the next meeting
Proposal from the Chair: Tuesday 4 April 2006 at 3 pm.
Note 1 This document has been classified restricted at the date of issue. Unless the Committee of Ministers decides otherwise, it will be declassified according to the rules set up in Resolution Res(2001)6 on access to Council of Europe documents.