CM(2013)158 4 December 20131
1187bis Meeting, 18 December 2013
1 General questions
1.5 Election of the Secretary General – Procedure
The Secretariat recalls that, on 13-14 February 2013 (1162nd meeting, item 1.5), the Deputies adopted the timetable for the election procedure of the Secretary General. The closing date for the submission of candidates is fixed at 15 December 2013.
By letters dated 4 and 5 November 2013, the Norwegian authorities informed the Chairman of the Committee of Ministers and the Secretary General of their proposal to renew the candidature of Mr Thorbjørn Jagland for the post of Secretary General (Appendix I). The curriculum vitae of Mr Thorbjørn Jagland appears in Appendix II.
MR. THORBJØRN JAGLAND
Secretary General of the Council of Europe
Thorbjørn Jagland was elected Secretary General of the Council of Europe in 2009. The same year, he was also elected Chairman of the Norwegian Nobel Committee, which awards the Nobel Peace Prize every year.
Mr Jagland was born on 5 November 1950 in Drammen, Norway. He is married to Hanne Grotjord. They have two children.
· Prime Minister, 1996-1997
· Minister of Foreign Affairs, 2000-2001
· President of the Norwegian Parliament (Storting), 2005-2009
· Member of Parliament, 1993-2009
· Member of the Standing Committee on Defence and the Enlarged Foreign Affairs Committee, 2005-2009
· Chairman of the Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs and the Enlarged Foreign Affairs Committee, 2001-2005
· Chairman of the EEA Consultative Committee since 2000-2005, member of the Committee 1994-1996 and again from 1997-2000
· Member of the Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs and the Enlarged Foreign Affairs Committee, 1993-1996 and 1997-2000, Chairman of the Committee for two months in 2000.
EUROPEAN AND TRANSATLANTIC PARLIAMENTARY POSITIONS
· Head of the Norwegian delegation for Relations with the European Parliament, 2001-2005
· Member of the Norwegian delegation to the NATO Parliamentary Assembly, 2001-2005 Member of the Norwegian delegation to the Nordic Council, 1993-1996 and 1997-2000
· Head of the Norwegian delegation at the Second Summit of the Council of Europe, Strasbourg 1997
· Member of the Norwegian delegation for Relations with the European Parliament, 1993-1996 and 1997-2000
INTERNATIONAL POLITICAL POSITIONS
· Chairman of the Board of Directors, Oslo Center for Peace and Human Rights, 2006-2009
· Chair of the Socialist International Middle East Committee, 2000-2006
· Member of the Sharm El-Sheikh Fact-Finding Commission (“Mitchell Commission”), 2000-2001
· Vice President of the Socialist International 1999-2008
· Member of the International Board of Governors, Peres Center for Peace since 1997
· Chair of the Socialist International Finance and Administration Committee, 1987-1992
NATIONAL POLITICAL POSITIONS
· Chairman of the Norwegian Labour Party, 1992-2002
· Party secretary of the Labour Party, 1987-1992
· Secretary of the Labour Party Programme Committee, 1986-1989
· Chairman of the Labour Party International Committee, 1986 – 1993
· Acting party secretary of the Labour Party, 1986-87
· Secretary of the Labour Party Committee on Disarmament, 1982-1983
· Chairman of the Norwegian Labour Youth League, 1977-1981
· Chairman of the Labour Youth League, Buskerud County, 1973-1976
ELECTED POSITIONS IN LOCAL GOVERNMENT
Member of Buskerud County Council, 1975-1983
Degree in Economics, University of Oslo, 1975
In the course of his political career, Mr Jagland has published a large number of articles and publications, as well as books, on Norwegian and international issues, in particular on European issues.
1 This document has been classified restricted until examination by the Committee of Ministers.