CM(2011)54 14 April 20111
1114 Meeting, 25 May 2011
4 Human rights
4.5 European Commission against Racism and Intolerance (ECRI) –
Abridged report of the 54th meeting (Strasbourg, 23-25 March 2011)
1. The European Commission against Racism and Intolerance (ECRI) held its 54th plenary meeting in Strasbourg (Agora Building) from 23 to 25 March 2011, with Mr Nils Muiznieks (member in respect of Latvia) in the Chair.
2. The agenda, as adopted, appears in Appendix I.
3. This abridged report contains a list of the items discussed and decisions taken at the meeting.
Item 1: Opening of the meeting
4. See introduction.
Item 2: Adoption of the agenda
5. See introduction.
Item 3: Communication by the Secretariat
6. The Secretariat provided ECRI with information on recent developments within the Council of Europe of relevance to its work.
Item 4: Fourth round of country-by-country monitoring work
7. On the basis of Secretariat memorandum CRI(2011)6, ECRI was given a progress report on the fourth round of country-by-country monitoring.
Item 5: Adoption of draft country-by-country reports
8. ECRI examined the preliminary draft country-by-country fourth round monitoring report on Lithuania.
9. In accordance with the country-by-country monitoring procedure, the above-mentioned draft report, as prepared at the present meeting, will be transmitted by the Chair of ECRI to the Permanent Representative of the member state concerned for confidential dialogue with the competent authorities. ECRI’s Secretariat will also forward a copy of the draft report directly to the national liaison officer who is based in the country concerned and via whom the confidential dialogue will be conducted.
Item 6: Adoption of final country-by-country reports
10. ECRI examined the fourth round country-by-country monitoring reports on Azerbaijan, Cyprus and Serbia that had been the subject of a dialogue with the relevant national liaison officers and which were now submitted to ECRI for final adoption.
11. ECRI adopted the final reports on Azerbaijan, Cyprus and Serbia. These texts are reproduced respectively in documents CM(2011)54 add1, CM(2011)54 add2 and CM(2011)54 add3. As agreed by the Ministers’ Deputies at their 986th meeting (7 February 2007), these reports will be transmitted by ECRI to the governments of the member states in question through the intermediary of the Committee of Ministers and will be made public, unless the governments concerned are expressly against making these texts public.
Item 7: ECRI’s Annual Report 2010
12. ECRI adopted its Annual Report for 2010. It will be presented by the Chair of ECRI to the Ministers’ Deputies at an exchange of views on 15 June 2011.
Item 8: Combating Anti-Gypsyism and discrimination against Roma
13. ECRI was informed of the results of the meetings of its Working Group on combating anti-Gypsyism, held respectively in Paris on 28 January 2011 and Strasbourg on 22 March 2011.
Item 9: Combating racism and racial discrimination in employment
14. ECRI was informed of the results of the meeting of its Working Group on combating racism and racial discrimination in employment held in Paris on 17 December 2010.
Item 10: Recommendation 1957 (2011) of the Parliamentary Assembly: “Violence against Christians in the Middle East”
15. ECRI adopted comments on the above recommendation, at the invitation of the Committee of Ministers.
Item 11: Relations with civil society
16. ECRI was informed about the implementation of its programme of action on relations with civil society.
Item 12: Co-operation with UN, OSCE and EU bodies active in the fight against racism and intolerance
17. ECRI was informed as to the development of its co-operation with the other European and international bodies active in the fight against racism and intolerance.
Item 13: Timetable for future work
18. ECRI decided on the timetable of its forthcoming meetings, as contained in Appendix II to this abridged meeting report.
Item 14: Other business
19. ECRI held an exchange of views with Mr Christos Giakoumopoulos, Director of Monitoring, DG-HL.
1. Opening of the meeting
2. Adoption of the agenda
3. Communication by the Secretariat
4. Fourth round of country-by-country monitoring work
5. Adoption of draft country-by-country reports
6. Adoption of final country-by-country reports
7. Annual report on ECRI’s activities
8. Combating anti-Gypsyism and discrimination against Roma
9. Combating racism and racial discrimination in employment
10. Recommendation 1957 (2011) of the Parliamentary Assembly: “Violence against Christians in the Middle East”
11. Relations with civil society
12. Co-operation with the UN, OSCE and EU bodies active in the field of combating racism and intolerance
13. Timetable for future work
14. Other business
Timetable of forthcoming meetings
Plenary meetings of ECRI
- 55th plenary meeting: 21-24 June 2011
- 56th plenary meeting: 6-9 December 2011
Meetings of the Bureau
- 20 June 2011
- 5 December 2011
Meetings of CBC groups
- CBC2: 20 June 2011
- CBC3: to be decided
- CBC5: to be decided
- CBC7: 20 June 2011
- CBC9: to be decided
- CBC2: in the sidelines of the 55th plenary meeting
- CBC6: in the sidelines of the 55th plenary meeting
- CBC7: in the sidelines of the 55th plenary meeting
Meetings of the working group on relations with civil society
- 20 June 2011
- 5 December 2011
Meeting of the working group on racism and racial discrimination in employment
- to be decided
Round Table in France
- 26 April 2011
Round Table in Georgia
- second semester 2011
Seminar with national specialised bodies
- 26-27 May 2011
1 This document has been classified restricted until examination by the Committee of Ministers.