CM(2008)162 Corrigendum 17 November 20081
1042 Meeting, 25-27 November 2008
11 Administration and Logistics
11.1 Adjustments to the 2009 Draft Budgets
Memorandum from the Secretary General
1. Further to the proposals set out in document CM(2008)162, and bearing in mind the summing up by the Chair of the exchange of views at the GR-PBA meeting on 6 November 2008, the Secretary General presents additional proposals aiming at reaching a compromise decision based on the principle of Zero Real Growth of member states contributions to the Ordinary Budget. These proposals have regard also to the recent decision taken by the European Central Bank to cut reference interest rates by 0.5%.
2. Given the size of the projects “Social mobility” and “Europe of shared responsibilities”, the Secretary General considers that implementing only one of the projects or postponing the start of the projects for 6 months would lead to inefficient use of the human resources allocated to the projects.
Amount to be financed: € 319,900
3. Following the decision taken by the European Central Bank to cut interest rates on 6 November 2008, a lower estimate of bank interest receipts.
Amount to be financed: €210,100
4. Following the views expressed by delegations, a reduction of the provision in Vote II for the 60th anniversary.
5. Following a majority view expressed by delegations, an increase from 1% to 2% of the efficiency gains applied to the budgets of the Parliamentary Assembly, the Congress, the office of the Human Rights Commissioner, and the “administrative” (non-case-processing) part of the budget of the European Court of Human Rights on the basis that it would be up to the entities concerned to manage the reduction.
6. As regards the salary adjustment for 2009, the Secretary General maintains the proposal made in document CM(2008)162. Indeed, the Secretary General considers that this proposal is the only one compatible with the decisions taken in December 2006 by the Ministers’ Deputies, when adopting the current salary adjustment method (see GR-PBA(2008)16 Appendix 1). The legal opinion issued separately by the Legal Adviser (see doc. GR-PBA (2008)16) points out that there are compelling legal reasons to adopt this approach.
7. The effect of these adjustments would be:
- to be financed: €319,900
- savings: €200,000
Note 1 This document has been classified “restricted” until the date of its adoption by the Committee of Ministers.