CM(2004)229 20 December 2004
912 Meeting, 19 January 2004
4 Human Rights
4.1 Steering Committee for Human Rights (CDDH) -
Abridged report of the 59th meeting (Strasbourg, 23-26 November 2004)
1. The Steering Committee for Human Rights (CDDH) held its 59th meeting in the Palais de l'Europe, Strasbourg, from 23-26 November 2004, with Mr Martin EATON (United Kingdom) in the Chair.
The full meeting report (CDDH(2004)030 and Addendum) can be obtained from Directorate General II – Human Rights.
2. At the meeting, the CDDH, in particular, considered the progress made by the Committee of Experts for the Improvement of Procedures for the Protection of Human Rights (DH-PR) on work relating to the implementation of the decisions adopted by the Deputies at their 886th meeting on 3 June 2004 (CM/Del/Dec(2004)884/1.5 “Reform of the European Convention on Human Rights - Declaration of the Committee of Ministers "Ensuring the effectiveness of the implementation of the European Convention on Human Rights at national and European levels"). These decisions were taken in pursuance of the texts adopted by the Committee of Ministers at its 114th Session (12 and 13 May 2004). So as to be in a position to carry out this work, the CDDH revised the DH-PR's programme of meetings for 2005 and scheduled two plenary meetings and five working group meetings (see report CDDH (2004)030, §§ 7-9). The CDDH intends to submit its first progress report to the Deputies in June 2005.
3. The CDDH also welcomed the conclusions of the high-level Seminar on the reform of the European human rights protection system (Oslo, 18 October 2004; document CM(2004)209) which it will take into account in its future work.
4. In accordance with its customary practice, the CDDH held a tour de table on the state of signatures and ratifications of Protocols Nos. 12, 13 and 14 to the European Convention on Human Rights. It decided that in June 2005 it would consider the possibility of subsequently holding a seminar or a round table to mark the entry into force of Protocol No. 12.
5. At the meeting, the CDDH, also:
i. held an exchange of views with the Deputy Executive Secretary of the European Committee for the Prevention of Torture and Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (CPT);
ii. continued preparations for the Seminar on Human Rights and Terrorism, which will be held in June 2005 to coincide with its 60th meeting;
iii. adopted draft Guidelines on the Protection of Victims of Terrorist Acts (CM(2004)217);
iv. adopted comments concerning draft terms of reference of the Group of Specialists on Victims of Terrorism (TER-S-AVT) (document DD(2004)637);
v. took note of the discussions taking place in the Committee of Experts for the Development of Human Rights (DH-DEV) concerning the drafting of an instrument on the environment and human rights. These discussions were conducted in pursuance of the ad hoc terms of reference assigned to the CDDH by the Deputies at their 869th meeting (21 January 2004; decision No.CM/860/21012004);
vi. decided to request terms of reference from the Committee of Ministers in order to prepare a legally binding instrument establishing principles on access to official documents;
vii. adopted comments on three Parliamentary Assembly Recommendations;
viii. decided to propose that the Ministers' Deputies renew its current terms of reference and those of the bodies answerable to it;
ix. agreed on a calendar for its meetings in 2005 and those of the bodies answerable to it (Appendix XI);
6. Finally, with regard to the request from the Conference for European Churches (KEK) for observer status with the CDDH, felt that the KEK should not be granted this status but that it should be invited to certain meetings, depending on the themes to be discussed.