CM(2003)92 11 July 2003
851 Meeting, 10 September 2003
6 Social Cohesion
6.2 European Population Committee (CAHP) –
Abridged report of the 5th meeting (Strasbourg, 4-6 June 2003)
List of items discussed and decisions taken1
1. The European Population Committee (CAHP) held its 5th meeting in Strasbourg from 4-6 June 2003. The agenda of the meeting appears in Appendix 1.
2. The Committee re-elected for second one-year terms its Chair Mr Aidan Punch (Ireland) and the Vice-Chair Mr. Richard Gisser (Austria)
3. The Committee took note of and welcomed the Recommendation 1591 (2003) of the Parliamentary Assembly on “Challenges of social policy in Europe's ageing societies”. It encouraged the Committee of Ministers to take action as recommended by the Parliamentary Assembly.
4. The Secretariat gave a progress report on the monitoring of the implementation of the census in “The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia”.
5. The Committee draws the attention of the Committee of Ministers to the new and upcoming CAHP publications following the last meeting in December 2002, namely:
- Recent demographic developments in Europe (2002);
- People, demography and social exclusion, Population Studies No. 37;
- The demographic characteristics of immigrant populations, Population Studies No. 38;
Publications in preparation:
- Demographic consequences of economic transition in countries of Central and Eastern Europe, Population Studies No. 39;
- The economically active population in Europe, Population Studies No. 40;
- Active ageing in Europe, Volume 1, Population Studies No. 41;
- Reproductive health behaviour of young Europeans, Volume 1, Population Studies No. 42;
- Demographic and social implications of low fertility for family structures in Europe, Population Studies No. 43
6. The Committee reviewed and welcomed its cooperation with other Committees and bodies of the Council of Europe, noted the use of its findings and reports by the European Committee on Migration, the European Committee for Social Cohesion, and the Social Cohesion Committee of the CLRAE. It was informed about the participation by several of its members in the Hearing organised by the Committee on Migration, Refugees and Demography and the Social, Health and Family Affairs Committee of the Parliamentary Assembly in Budapest on 6th May 2003.
7. The Committee took note of the revised timetable for the Joint Demographic Questionnaire as agreed with Eurostat and the other partners (the new common deadline for submission is 15 September), and of the new format for the migration tables in the Demographic Yearbook.
8. The Committee heard the presentations from the consultants working on the 2003 research activities:
- international labour migration;
- reproductive health behaviour of young Europeans;
- active ageing in Europe;
- demographic implications of social exclusion in Central and Eastern Europe.
The Committee discussed the content of the draft reports and suggested improvements and amendments for preparation of the final reports to be presented in December 2003.
9. The Committee heard the report on the possibility of holding a policy-oriented population conference. The Committee confirmed its wish to promote such conference in Autumn 2004 or Spring 2005 jointly with the Parliamentary Assembly and with the participation of other Council of Europe bodies. It appointed a working group to consult with the Parliamentary Assembly, finalise the date, outline the themes and the overall approach of the conference and report back to the Committee in December 2003.
10. The Committee held an initial exchange of views on the renewal of its terms of reference in 2004. The Committee asked the Chairman, with the support of the Secretariat, to draw up a questionnaire to be distributed among the members of the European Population Network, in order to assess the results of the new working methods and to prepare a draft report for examination by the Committee at its next meeting in December 2003.
11. The Committee reviewed its plans for activities in 2004 and agreed to take final decisions at its next meeting in the light of the decisions still to be taken concerning the date and preparation of the planned conference.
12. The Committee was informed on the progress of the UNECE Population Forum planned for January 2004 and agreed to contribute actively to it.
13. The Committee took note of the forthcoming biannual conference of the European Association for Population Studies on 26-30 August 2003 and asked Ms. Fratczak (Poland) to report in December on the conference results.
14. The Committee agreed on 1-3 December 2003 as the date of the next meeting.
European Population Committee (CAHP)
4 – 6 June 2003, Room 8
1. ADOPTION OF THE DRAFT AGENDA AND THE MINUTES OF THE 4th MEETING
2. ELECTION OF THE CHAIR AND VICE-CHAIR
3. STATEMENT BY THE SECRETARIAT
4. 2003 ACTIVITY PROGRAMME
5. THE DEMOGRAPHIC YEARBOOK
6. EUROPEAN POPULATION CONFERENCE
7. 2004 ACTIVITY PROGRAMME
8. RENEWAL OF THE TERMS OF REFERENCE OF THE CAHP
9. OTHER EUROPEAN POPULATION CONFERENCES
10. ANY OTHER BUSINESS
11. DATE OF THE NEXT MEETING